WISE, Va. - The lockdown on UVA-Wise's campus has been lifted, following reports of a gunman on campus.
The school's website issued a warning earlier Wednesday evening for students to stay where they are. Virginia State Police now tell us a student called 911 to report he had seen a man on campus armed with a gun. We're told multiple law enforcement officials responded to the campus and began a building-by-building search.
While the searches were conducted, VSP says special agents were interviewing the student who made the initial report. During that interview, the student confessed that it was a hoax.
- Hawkins Co. commission halfway to $40 wheel tax increase
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment