WISE, Va. - The lockdown on UVA-Wise's campus has been lifted, following reports of a gunman on campus.
The school's website issued a warning earlier Wednesday evening for students to stay where they are. Virginia State Police now tell us a student called 911 to report he had seen a man on campus armed with a gun. We're told multiple law enforcement officials responded to the campus and began a building-by-building search.
While the searches were conducted, VSP says special agents were interviewing the student who made the initial report. During that interview, the student confessed that it was a hoax.
- Updated UPDATE: ETSU issues statement on student intimidating Black Lives Matter protest
- Updated Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- New ETSU student charged with intimidation for gorilla mask act at Black Lives Matter protest
- Updated Buchanan County holds highest unemployment rate in Virginia
- Senators ask Justice Department to investigate EpiPen maker