ABINGDON, Va. - Ten-thousand jars of peanut butter are heading to Virginia food banks, thanks to Planters Peanut Butter and Virginia peanut growers.
One of the lucky recipients is Feeding America Southwest Virginia in Abingdon.
According to Gary Mitchell with the food bank, of all of the food stuffs they give away, peanut butter is one of its most important. "Peanut butter is, and has been for a number of years, a staple food for us. It's loaded with protein and very nutritious and it's one that is good to distribute to the children and the seniors."
This is the second year in a row that the producers and growers have contributed to food banks across the Commonwealth.
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia