ABINGDON, Va. - Ten-thousand jars of peanut butter are heading to Virginia food banks, thanks to Planters Peanut Butter and Virginia peanut growers.
One of the lucky recipients is Feeding America Southwest Virginia in Abingdon.
According to Gary Mitchell with the food bank, of all of the food stuffs they give away, peanut butter is one of its most important. "Peanut butter is, and has been for a number of years, a staple food for us. It's loaded with protein and very nutritious and it's one that is good to distribute to the children and the seniors."
This is the second year in a row that the producers and growers have contributed to food banks across the Commonwealth.
- Dolly Parton films final scenes at Dollywood for her new Christmas movie
- Bristol, Va. police officer, involved in domestic dispute, under investigation
- Officials ask public for help in search for escaped Washington Co., Tenn. inmate
- U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development