ABINGDON, Va. - Ten-thousand jars of peanut butter are heading to Virginia food banks, thanks to Planters Peanut Butter and Virginia peanut growers.
One of the lucky recipients is Feeding America Southwest Virginia in Abingdon.
According to Gary Mitchell with the food bank, of all of the food stuffs they give away, peanut butter is one of its most important. "Peanut butter is, and has been for a number of years, a staple food for us. It's loaded with protein and very nutritious and it's one that is good to distribute to the children and the seniors."
This is the second year in a row that the producers and growers have contributed to food banks across the Commonwealth.
- Former addict overcomes addiction, becomes drug court coordinator
- Man with bladed gloves, clown makeup held in Denver stabbing
- US Postal Service issues new Thoreau stamp at Walden Pond
- Derby Day event raises $31,000 for hunger prevention programs in Greene Co.
- Philadelphia man who spent 24 years in prison is exonerated