ABINGDON, Va. - Abingdon, Virginia celebrated the Fourth of July Thursday morning.
They had their annual Patriotic Ceremony. The ceremony is usually held at Sinking Spring Cemetery, but because of rain they were at the farmers market this year.
The chance of rain didn't stop the celebration from going on. Kids placed American flags in a wreath in honor of veterans of U.S. wars. There were also children who read essays about American history out loud.
Organizers say they are happy children are learning what the Fourth of July is all about. "We have the American flag essay and American history essay each year and select winners. They come and read their essays and receive awards, and we invite them to come back for the Fourth of July," adds organizer Carol Graybeal.
- Updated Man accused of killing father in Buchanan County appears in court
- Highway 421 closed Tuesday between Mountain City and Shady Valley
- Virginia state trooper charged with solicitation of prostitution
- Parents of 11-year-old convicted murderer sued in Jefferson County
- Buchanan County drug roundup leads to over 20 arrests