ABINGDON, Va. - Traffic crawled along interstate 81 Thursday evening after a crash near Abingdon, Virginia.
It happened around 5 o'clock Thursday afternoon near mile marker 14 in the southbound lanes.
Officers on the scene tell us two vehicles were involved.
One of the drivers was sent to the hospital with minor injuries, there were no passengers in either car.
Officers explain how it all happened.
"We had a temporary lane closure in the right hand lane- it was a mobile lane closure and traffic had to come to a slow pace in the left lane, and when traffic had slowed, the van struck the Tahoe in the rear," says Master Trooper Ritchie Maddox, with Virginia State Police.
We're told charges are pending.
- Updated Virginia outperforms most states on national science tests
- Updated Warm and dry weather this week causes higher fire danger
- FTC, Wellmont and MSHA speak in front of SWVa. Health Authority
- VP candidate Pence not hurt when plane skids off runway
- Chelsea Clinton garnering young voters at Appalachian State University