On this day: October 18
Herman Melville's masterpiece is printed, the U.S. takes possession of Alaska and Puerto Rico, "West Side Story" premieres, and Reggie Jackson goes deep three times in the World Series, all on this day.
Around The Watercooler
- Taxi scares wolves away from buffalo
- Pot shop removes weed-smoking Santa art
- Johns Hopkins mistakenly welcomes wrong students
- Mystery man hands out $100 bills in Massachusetts
- Cremated remains donated to Goodwill
- DNA from beard leads cops to burglar
- Wis. governor's Hanukkah message: 'Molotov!'
- Corrections officer arrested for shoplifting
- Video of 'Calgary's worst driver' goes viral