Smyth County, Va. - Smyth County, Virginia Sheriff R. David Bradley says Governor Bob McDonnell approved funding for grants. The money will be used to place School Resource Officers in two localities in the Smyth County School System.
In a press release Bradley tells us that previously the Smyth County Sheriff's Office appeared before the Smyth County Board of Supervisors. During that visit, the request was to apply for the SRO grant in which the Board gave the go-ahead. Bradley says he has to present the two SRO grants to the Board of Supervisors for their final approval. These grants will provide funding for salaries, and benefits for the SRO's. That is with the locality required to provide a match that is set by the Department of Criminal Justice Services.
- UPDATE: escaped UPS Lee inmates captured in Mexico
- Firefighters feeling 'hopeful' after making presentation to Bristol, Va. city council
- School Budget Cut: Many voice concerns about tentative budget at Board of Supervisors meeting
- Solidarity in Remembrance: Smyth Co. town comes together to honor veterans
- Former addict overcomes addiction, becomes drug court coordinator