SOUTH HOLSTON LAKE, Va. - Investigators now say pilot error caused a chopper crash in South Holston Lake.
The accident happened in August 2012.
64-year-old pilot Bill Starnes died in the crash.
The National Transportation Safety Board's final report said Starnes made an improper decision to make a low-level take-off in dark conditions without lights.
Investigators believe Starnes likely thought he was going straight but headed straight into the water.
To read the full NTSB report, click here.
- New ETSU student reports she was sexually assaulted on campus
- Updated Food City and United Way begin annual program to help feed children
- Updated Jail inmates escape in Hawkins County
- Deer feeding prohibited in Virginia starting September 1
- Select children's tickets to be $10 for Cup Series events at Bristol Motor Speedway