SOUTH HOLSTON LAKE, Va. - Investigators now say pilot error caused a chopper crash in South Holston Lake.
The accident happened in August 2012.
64-year-old pilot Bill Starnes died in the crash.
The National Transportation Safety Board's final report said Starnes made an improper decision to make a low-level take-off in dark conditions without lights.
Investigators believe Starnes likely thought he was going straight but headed straight into the water.
To read the full NTSB report, click here.
- New Video game player dies during non-stop marathon session
- New Correctional workers paint grim picture of Delaware prisons
- Updated 4 charged in death of 9-year-old boy with cerebral palsy
- Carter County robbery suspect captured
- Faculty respond to TBR's 'interim actions' taken at Northeast State Community College