SOUTH HOLSTON LAKE, Va. - Investigators now say pilot error caused a chopper crash in South Holston Lake.
The accident happened in August 2012.
64-year-old pilot Bill Starnes died in the crash.
The National Transportation Safety Board's final report said Starnes made an improper decision to make a low-level take-off in dark conditions without lights.
Investigators believe Starnes likely thought he was going straight but headed straight into the water.
To read the full NTSB report, click here.
- Hawkins Co. commission halfway to $40 wheel tax increase
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment