Police in Greensboro say a toddler was critically injured in his own backyard after two dogs attacked the child.
Spokeswoman Susan Danielsen said in a statement that police were alerted to the incident after the mother called 911 Tuesday morning. Danielsen said when officers arrived, they saw two large pit bulls lying beside the child. An officer shot and killed one of the dogs after it moved away from the toddler.
The other dog fled but was captured.
Danielsen said it's not clear who owns the dogs. She said the toddler was taken to Brenner's Children's Hospital in Winston-Salem for treatment.
- Johnson City kids got to 'shop with a cop' for all the gifts on their list
- Dozens gather in Johnson City to remember Sandy Hook tragedy
- Net neutrality repeal worries ETSU students; how it could affect your internet bill
- SINCLAIR CARES: Know your toys and age limits this Christmas season
- United Way Washington County collects $1.5M- short of $1.8M goal