AVERY COUNTY, N.C. - Time is of the essence in Avery County, North Carolina.
Record rainfall has expanded Wednesday's landslide on a 250-foot section of Highway 194 South just outside Newland from one lane to all three.
Crews are hoping to get started on reconstruction as soon as possible. Not only is winter approaching, but the town depends on the road for the fall tourist season.
An Avery County NCDOT engineer tells us, "We're just trying to expedite it and get it going as quickly as we can."
Crews are currently doing core drillings to figure out how to repair the road.
We're told they plan to subcontract the job.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Person of interest identified in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Updated UPDATE: Former Bristol doctor receives probation on tax charges
- New Griffith, Kitts set for showdown in Virginia 9th District debate
- Arby's to sell venison sandwiches in 6 deer-hunting states