AVERY COUNTY, N.C. - Time is of the essence in Avery County, North Carolina.
Record rainfall has expanded Wednesday's landslide on a 250-foot section of Highway 194 South just outside Newland from one lane to all three.
Crews are hoping to get started on reconstruction as soon as possible. Not only is winter approaching, but the town depends on the road for the fall tourist season.
An Avery County NCDOT engineer tells us, "We're just trying to expedite it and get it going as quickly as we can."
Crews are currently doing core drillings to figure out how to repair the road.
We're told they plan to subcontract the job.
- New KISS concert in Manchester canceled after terrorist attacks
- New Tennessee governor signs NRA-backed metal detector gun bill
- New Former Texas nurse accused of killing dozens of kids in '80s
- UPDATE: Johnson County juvenile pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Muslim man sues Little Caesars over pizza labeled 'halal'