AVERY COUNTY, N.C. - Time is of the essence in Avery County, North Carolina.
Record rainfall has expanded Wednesday's landslide on a 250-foot section of Highway 194 South just outside Newland from one lane to all three.
Crews are hoping to get started on reconstruction as soon as possible. Not only is winter approaching, but the town depends on the road for the fall tourist season.
An Avery County NCDOT engineer tells us, "We're just trying to expedite it and get it going as quickly as we can."
Crews are currently doing core drillings to figure out how to repair the road.
We're told they plan to subcontract the job.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon