An 8-year-old child was hit by a train near the intersection of Biddle and F streets in New Bern Monday afternoon, authorities said.
The incident happened at approximately 3:38 p.m., according to a press release from New Bern Police. Officials said the child had life-threatening injuries while playing on the railroad property near National Ave. At the time of the incident, officials told our sister station WCTI that the child lost a limb but could not confirm anything further.
Witnesses at the scene said the individual hit was a boy that looked to be about 10-years-old. The child was taken to CarolinaEast Health Systems in New Bern then airlifted to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville.
The train remained on the tracks while investigators from the train company and the North Carolina Department of Transportation were on the scene. George Street remained blocked at the railroad crossing as a result of the accident but eventually opened again.
- President Trump and family now land owners in Hawkins County
- Businesses in downtown Marion deck the windows for holiday contest
- UPDATE: Bristol, Tennessee man sentenced to 10 years for child sex crimes
- Sullivan County Highway Department has new tools to clear slippery roads
- UPDATE: Governor Haslam offers $5K reward for info on Bristol Walmart murder