ABINGDON, VA - The United States gained nine new citizens at an event in Abingdon today. Judge James Jones presided over the swearing in ceremony.
Smiles were evident as they accepted their certificates and they embark on a new chapter in their lives as Americans.
Channie Barker from People's Republic of China said, "Getting citizenship has not been very difficult for me, but i'm not taking it for granted. I've been having this dream since I was a child."
Meanwhile, Hugo Guzman from Mexico said, "I don't have no words for it. To become an American citizen, to say you are an American citizen is priceless."
Barker and Guzman told us they are excited about getting to vote in the next election.
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation
- Bristol Virginia council votes to borrow another three million for The Falls
- Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone