ABINGDON, VA - The United States gained nine new citizens at an event in Abingdon today. Judge James Jones presided over the swearing in ceremony.
Smiles were evident as they accepted their certificates and they embark on a new chapter in their lives as Americans.
Channie Barker from People's Republic of China said, "Getting citizenship has not been very difficult for me, but i'm not taking it for granted. I've been having this dream since I was a child."
Meanwhile, Hugo Guzman from Mexico said, "I don't have no words for it. To become an American citizen, to say you are an American citizen is priceless."
Barker and Guzman told us they are excited about getting to vote in the next election.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon