BRISTOL, Tenn. - Bristol, Tennessee residents can feel extra protection from weather events, such as tornadoes, with the installation of some new equipment.
Five tornado sirens were installed in the 1950s; now two more being installed. One is behind Holston View Elementary School and the other is on Exide drive.
"It's increasing safety and public awareness. These sirens were put in places that other sirens weren't reaching and hopefully they will reach people who've never heard them before," said Virginia Smeltzer.
Smeltzer tells us the sirens are tested every Saturday at noon. If you hear the siren any other time for several minutes, tune into News 5 to find out what precautions you need to take.
- Updated Update on Proposed Methadone Clinic for Gray
- Washington County, Virginia man charged with rape of child
- EPA, USDA announces initiative to help bring broadband service to Erwin
- Previously missing Russell County woman found unharmed in Georgia
- Major decision expected Wednesday in relation to proposed Gray methadone clinic