BRISTOL, Tenn. - Bristol, Tennessee residents can feel extra protection from weather events, such as tornadoes, with the installation of some new equipment.
Five tornado sirens were installed in the 1950s; now two more being installed. One is behind Holston View Elementary School and the other is on Exide drive.
"It's increasing safety and public awareness. These sirens were put in places that other sirens weren't reaching and hopefully they will reach people who've never heard them before," said Virginia Smeltzer.
Smeltzer tells us the sirens are tested every Saturday at noon. If you hear the siren any other time for several minutes, tune into News 5 to find out what precautions you need to take.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport