BRISTOL, Tenn. - Bristol, Tennessee residents can feel extra protection from weather events, such as tornadoes, with the installation of some new equipment.
Five tornado sirens were installed in the 1950s; now two more being installed. One is behind Holston View Elementary School and the other is on Exide drive.
"It's increasing safety and public awareness. These sirens were put in places that other sirens weren't reaching and hopefully they will reach people who've never heard them before," said Virginia Smeltzer.
Smeltzer tells us the sirens are tested every Saturday at noon. If you hear the siren any other time for several minutes, tune into News 5 to find out what precautions you need to take.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane