A board deciding whether to suspend or revoke the license of a contractor has shed new light on errors that led to three people dying from carbon monoxide poisoning in the same Boone motel room.
    
The Charlotte Observer reported that the State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating & Fire Sprinkler Contractors heard the case in May and decided to suspend Dale Winkler's license for at least a year. He is appealing.
    
Former motel manager Damon Mallatere asked Winkler to inspect for gas leaks or a stopped up exhaust pipe after two people died in a room at the Best Western in Boone in April 2013. Winkler found nothing, and a third person died in the room a month later.
    
Mallatere is charged with involuntary manslaughter in the deaths.