Police say a rabid fox repeatedly attacked a golfer on his second hole at a Rhode Island country club.
The Westerly Sun (http://bit.ly/2qywdko ) reports the fox came charging from the woods and bit the golfer's pant leg April 28 at the Winnapaug Country Club in Westerly.
The man used a club to push the animal away, but the fox kept attacking. The golfer injured the animal's leg on the second attack. After a third time, police say, the golfer struck the fox in the head with the club. The animal was dead when officers arrived.
Officers with the Department of Environmental Management and Animal Control took the fox from the course for rabies testing. Test results returned Tuesday evening confirmed the animal was rabid.
(Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Sullivan County breaks ground on new middle school; changes coming for Kingsport schools
- UPDATE: Former ETSU men's tennis coach indicted for forgery, theft
- Preliminary hearing held for man accused of beating Carter County woman to death
- Bristol city leaders confirm Hobby Lobby to come to The Falls
- Sullivan South teacher charged with unlawful photographing