A 9-year-old girl is dead after her 320-pound cousin sat on top of her with her mother's permission, police say. According to the Escambia County Sheriff's Office, 64-year-old Veronica Posey is facing charges of second degree murder and aggravated child abuse in Dericka Lindsay's death.
The girl's parents, Grace and James Smith, were also arrested. Deputies say Grace, 69, is charged with cruelty towards a child and child neglect. James, 62, faces only child neglect.
Arrest reports state Lindsay's mother called Posey to their Pensacola home on Saturday afternoon when she couldn't keep her daughter under control and needed help disciplining her.
According to WEAR, Posey hit the girl with a ruler and metal pipe.
The report states Posey then sat on top of the 74 pound girl. The child told her cousin she couldn't breathe. Deputies say Posey finally stood up and realized Lindsay wasn't breathing. The family called 911, and the girl was taken to Baptist Hospital, where she died.
Lindsay's parents and her cousin were taken to the Sheriff's Office for questioning.
Deputies arrested and charged all three and took them to the Escambia County Jail. WEAR reports that Grace and James Smith remain in jail, while Posey has been released on a $125,000 bond.
According to the arrest reports, all three will appear in court on Nov. 3.
- Weekend Drive: Dolly Parton's Smoky Mountain Adventures Christmas Show
- Police: Multiple officers injured after shooting in Georgia
- Science Hill parents react to news of former booster president stealing money
- Speedway in Lights illuminating the night sky for opening night
- Speedway in Lights: new light displays and old favorites