A four-week-old baby and her mother suffered burns and serious injuries when fireworks exploded on them during an illegal Iowa show.
The Johnson County Sheriff's Office says 36-year-old Margaret Limkemann and her baby were injured when fireworks launched sideways instead of upward at a party Saturday in Swisher.
The projectile struck Margaret and exploded, catching fire. The mother attempted to remove the baby from her lap, tossing her onto a blanket. Both were transported to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.
A GoFundMe campaign raising money for the family says the baby suffered a broken femur, fractures and burns. It says Limkemann suffered severe trauma to her legs and needs multiple surgeries.
Property owner Richard Fowler was cited for failure to have a firework permit in violation of county ordinance.
Iowa recently lifted a decades-long ban on fireworks sales.
- President Trump and family now land owners in Hawkins County
- Businesses in downtown Marion deck the windows for holiday contest
- UPDATE: Bristol, Tennessee man sentenced to 10 years for child sex crimes
- Sullivan County Highway Department has new tools to clear slippery roads
- UPDATE: Governor Haslam offers $5K reward for info on Bristol Walmart murder