NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The U.S. Postal Service announced Wednesday that all mailboxes along the route of the St. Jude Country Music Marathon will be blocked this weekend out of an abundance of caution.
A postal official says law enforcement asked that the mailboxes be blocked as a precaution following the bombings at the Boston Marathon.
Federal and state officials say they have reviewed security plans for Saturday's marathon and half marathon, which draw roughly 30,000 runners to Nashville.
Hundreds of law enforcement and security personnel are expected to make a presence along the route, and police say they have planned for every contingency. The FBI has said there are no known security threats, but law enforcement is going to be vigilant in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings last week.
- New 'Aerial Adventure' ropes course opens at ETSU
- Confederate nurse honored more than 150 years after Civil War
- Gov. Haslam hosts Appalachian Regional Commission conference
- Multiple agencies search for escaped inmate out of Washington County, Tenn.
- Local recycling practices both benefit and cost their cities