NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The U.S. Postal Service announced Wednesday that all mailboxes along the route of the St. Jude Country Music Marathon will be blocked this weekend out of an abundance of caution.
A postal official says law enforcement asked that the mailboxes be blocked as a precaution following the bombings at the Boston Marathon.
Federal and state officials say they have reviewed security plans for Saturday's marathon and half marathon, which draw roughly 30,000 runners to Nashville.
Hundreds of law enforcement and security personnel are expected to make a presence along the route, and police say they have planned for every contingency. The FBI has said there are no known security threats, but law enforcement is going to be vigilant in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombings last week.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting