Raligh County, WV - It was two years ago today that an explosion at Upper Big Branch Mine in West Virginia killed 29 miners.
And, the mine's new owners just announced they'll close that mine permanently.
Alpha Natural Resources acquired Upper Big Branch in Raleigh County when they purchased Massey Energy last summer. The company says it will seal the mine entrance with concrete this summer.
This afternoon at 3:01, there will be a moment of silence for those miners that died. An investigation revealed that methane and coal dust fueled the blast.
Wreath laying ceremonies are also scheduled in West Virginia's capitol and in Raleigh County today.
- New Pedestrian killed trying to cross interstate in Asheville
- Trial date set for Sullivan County man charged with child sex crimes
- Man sentenced after trying to bring meth to Lee County inmates
- Supreme Court may strike law barring sex offenders from social media
- Updated Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN