More than 1,200 jobs will be eliminated with Alpha Natural Resources throughout their company, but those are not the only ones.
Coal miners have been getting laid off for months in southwest Virginia. Governor Bob McDonnell says it is in the favor of the country to use what resources we have here.
"For us to maintain a national policy, we're going to have to be independent from foreign countries. Coal and natural gas are absolutely key to that policy," said Governor McDonnell.
McDonnell continues to tell News 5 the new air rules for coal have no sensitivity to create jobs in the state.
- Four charged in Church Hill home invasion case
- FTC warns there would be 'significant risk' if MSHA, Wellmont merger is approved
- Suspected Bristol bank robber waives preliminary hearing
- Justin Timberlake on Tenn. voting controversy: "I had no idea."
- Updated MLB commish says he plans to meet with Indians owner on logo