More than 1,200 jobs will be eliminated with Alpha Natural Resources throughout their company, but those are not the only ones.
Coal miners have been getting laid off for months in southwest Virginia. Governor Bob McDonnell says it is in the favor of the country to use what resources we have here.
"For us to maintain a national policy, we're going to have to be independent from foreign countries. Coal and natural gas are absolutely key to that policy," said Governor McDonnell.
McDonnell continues to tell News 5 the new air rules for coal have no sensitivity to create jobs in the state.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane