More than 1,200 jobs will be eliminated with Alpha Natural Resources throughout their company, but those are not the only ones.
Coal miners have been getting laid off for months in southwest Virginia. Governor Bob McDonnell says it is in the favor of the country to use what resources we have here.
"For us to maintain a national policy, we're going to have to be independent from foreign countries. Coal and natural gas are absolutely key to that policy," said Governor McDonnell.
McDonnell continues to tell News 5 the new air rules for coal have no sensitivity to create jobs in the state.
- Updated Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire