A hearing is underway in Watauga County Superior Court for the North Carolina man facing charges in the carbon monoxide poisoning deaths of three people at a hotel in Boone.
Barry Mallatere, president of the Appalachian Hospitality Management, is charged with three counts of involuntary manslaughter and one count of assault inflicting serious injuries.
A Washington state couple was found dead in the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza Hotel back in April 2013. A few weeks later, an 11-year-old boy from South Carolina died in the same room. His mother was hospitalized.
Autopsies confirmed the three died from carbon monoxide poisoning, which officials blame on a faulty pool heater.
We'll bring you updates on this case throughout the day online and on News 5 WCYB.