Abingdon, Va. - A local teacher is honored in a big way tonight, and now he's 25-thousand dollars richer.
Steve Ahn teaches earth science and biology at Abingdon High School.
He won this year's McGlothlin Awards for Teaching Excellence. $10,000 of his winnings must be used for international travel, Ahn is planning to visit schools in Finland, Norway and Iceland.
He was presented a check at a ceremony tonight with guest speaker Henry Winkler, better known as "The Fonz" from TV's "Happy Days".
He was one of two winners tonight; the other is a 5th grade teacher from Giles County.
- Updated Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event
- Bristol, Tenn. man receives 20 years on federal child porn charge
- Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson