Abingdon, Va. - A local teacher is honored in a big way tonight, and now he's 25-thousand dollars richer.
Steve Ahn teaches earth science and biology at Abingdon High School.
He won this year's McGlothlin Awards for Teaching Excellence. $10,000 of his winnings must be used for international travel, Ahn is planning to visit schools in Finland, Norway and Iceland.
He was presented a check at a ceremony tonight with guest speaker Henry Winkler, better known as "The Fonz" from TV's "Happy Days".
He was one of two winners tonight; the other is a 5th grade teacher from Giles County.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane