BRISTOL, Va. - A local teacher will serve on Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell's teacher cabinet.
Karen Cross, a civics teacher at Bristol, Virginia Middle School was named to the group.
The Teachers Cabinet is charged with identifying needs of schools, improving education overall while getting parents and the community involved, among other duties.
The group is expected to have its first meeting later this month and will submit a report of recommendations in November.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Updated Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake