BRISTOL, Va. - A local teacher will serve on Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell's teacher cabinet.
Karen Cross, a civics teacher at Bristol, Virginia Middle School was named to the group.
The Teachers Cabinet is charged with identifying needs of schools, improving education overall while getting parents and the community involved, among other duties.
The group is expected to have its first meeting later this month and will submit a report of recommendations in November.
- New Bristol, Va. police officer, involved in domestic dispute, under investigation
- New Officials ask public for help in search for escaped Washington Co., Tenn. inmate
- U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development
- Lexington at Johnson City nursing home to close doors Oct. 31