BRISTOL, Va. - A local teacher will serve on Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell's teacher cabinet.
Karen Cross, a civics teacher at Bristol, Virginia Middle School was named to the group.
The Teachers Cabinet is charged with identifying needs of schools, improving education overall while getting parents and the community involved, among other duties.
The group is expected to have its first meeting later this month and will submit a report of recommendations in November.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon