ABINGDON, Va. - Long time Virginia Delegate Joe Johnson has a new office decoration thanks to the efforts of U.S. Representative Morgan Griffith.
Griffith recognized Johnson for this long service to the state with a speech honoring the Korean War Veteran from the floor of the House of Representatives. Griffith presented Johnson with a copy of the speech that is part of official Congressional Record. It highlights Delegate Johnson's time in the Virginia Legislature.
Delegate Johnson served in the state legislature in the 1960's. He took a 20 year break and was re-elected in 1989. He has served ever since.
Earlier this year the 81-year-old Johnson announced this will be his last term.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport