BRISTOL, Va. - For the first time in nearly 600 years, a Pope is stepping down from his position. The last Pope to resign was in the year 1415.
Pope Benedict XVI announced his decision Monday morning during a meeting of Vatican Cardinals.
The 85-year-old told the cardinals that he did not feel he could carry on the job because of health conditions.
We talked to a local priest to get his take on the decision. "It was a courageous thing I think. A difficult decision to make, but one that's certainly allowed within the law of the church to resign like that, but unusual," said Father Kevin Segerblom.
Father Segerblom says he hopes a new Pope will be elected before the holy week, which is the week before Easter.
- Kingsport police investigating suspicious death on Bruce Street
- Greeneville Couple Accused of Trying to Sell A Child on Craigslist
- Indivisible Greene County rally brings out protestors rallying for unity
- Kingsport hosts annual Carousel Fine Craft Show
- UVA-Wise hosts 24-hour student Hackathon in Abingdon