ABINGDON, Va. - Labor Day weekend marks the unofficial end of summer, and the owner of Sportsmans Marina in Abingdon says this was an exceptionally good summer for marinas in the area, compared to recent years.
Travis Richards tells News 5 boat sales were up for them. As of August 1st, they saw a steady increase of about 16 percent.
News 5 asked them, "what makes it a good summer?" Richards says it mainly relies on the weather, meaning not too hot and not that much rain.
He tells News 5 they also saw increased business from people out of town.
"I think we're slowly getting a little bit of an edge on some other lakes of people finding out what a beautiful area this is and what a nice lake South Holston is to come and enjoy," says owner of Sportsmans Marina Travis Richards.
Richards also says the restaurant portion of the marina will close this coming weekend, but the rest of the marina is open year round.end they're open.
- Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City