ABINGDON, Va. - Labor Day weekend marks the unofficial end of summer, and the owner of Sportsmans Marina in Abingdon says this was an exceptionally good summer for marinas in the area, compared to recent years.
Travis Richards tells News 5 boat sales were up for them. As of August 1st, they saw a steady increase of about 16 percent.
News 5 asked them, "what makes it a good summer?" Richards says it mainly relies on the weather, meaning not too hot and not that much rain.
He tells News 5 they also saw increased business from people out of town.
"I think we're slowly getting a little bit of an edge on some other lakes of people finding out what a beautiful area this is and what a nice lake South Holston is to come and enjoy," says owner of Sportsmans Marina Travis Richards.
Richards also says the restaurant portion of the marina will close this coming weekend, but the rest of the marina is open year round.end they're open.
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane
- Neighbors propose traffic mural for Johnson City Tree Streets
- Enjoying record high heat in February
- "Compassion International" exhibition in Gray this weekend