Washington County Virginia Sheriff Fred Newman has announced that Senior Detective Michael E. Martin, a 30-year veteran of the Washington County Virginia Sheriff's Office, has announced his retirement effective January 31, 2014.
Martin began his career in 1981 and served in numerous capacities within the Sheriff's Office, beginning in the Patrol Division, Corrections, Court Security and finally finding his calling in as a detective in the Criminal Investigations Division. He is a graduate of the Virginia Forensic Science Academy and has been honored with numerous awards for his exemplary investigative skills.
A retirement reception in Senior Detective Martin's honor was held on Wednesday, January 29, 2014, at the Sheriff's Office.
"Senior Detective Martin has served the citizens of Washington County with integrity and dedication and will be missed by the members of this agency," stated Sheriff Newman. "He served under six Washington County Virginia Sheriffs during his law enforcement career."
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash