BRISTOL, Va. - A local college has lost its accreditation.
A few weeks ago, News 5 reported Virginia Intermont's accreditation was being reviewed by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission. That board has now decided against accreditation and Wednesday voted to remove VI from its membership.
Virginia Intermont officials say the decision was based on the school's financial issues, not academic programs.
The school has filed an appeal of the decision and will remain accredited during that process.
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport