BRISTOL, Tenn. - Before Monday's big announcement about the upcoming UT/VT game at Bristol Motor Speedway, the last football game played at the track was in 1961.
The announcement is 50 years in the making, thanks to Carl Moore's big idea to host a football game at the track he built with a business partner.
After a race in 1961, Moore approached the Washington Redskins' owner and convinced him to play ball. "[We] talked him into having the Redskins come here for an exhibition game with the Philadelphia Eagles, who were the champions the year before. And that's how it started," said Moore.
Moore says decades ago, they also tried to get UT and Virginia Tech to play at the track, but it didn't work out until now.
- UPDATE: escaped UPS Lee inmates captured in Mexico
- Firefighters feeling 'hopeful' after making presentation to Bristol, Va. city council
- School Budget Cut: Many voice concerns about tentative budget at Board of Supervisors meeting
- Solidarity in Remembrance: Smyth Co. town comes together to honor veterans
- Former addict overcomes addiction, becomes drug court coordinator