Two U.S. congressmen, one of whom is from Kentucky, have introduced a bill requiring a federal study of the health effects of mountaintop removal coal mining.
The lawmakers claim mountaintop removal mining contaminates water supplies with heavy metals, which makes people sick.
The Kentucky Democrat behind the bill says the legislation would provide families in mining communities with answers to questions about potential health impacts.
He also says, if the study proves mountaintop mining is unsafe, it should be outlawed.
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane
- Neighbors propose traffic mural for Johnson City Tree Streets
- Enjoying record high heat in February
- "Compassion International" exhibition in Gray this weekend