Two U.S. congressmen, one of whom is from Kentucky, have introduced a bill requiring a federal study of the health effects of mountaintop removal coal mining.
The lawmakers claim mountaintop removal mining contaminates water supplies with heavy metals, which makes people sick.
The Kentucky Democrat behind the bill says the legislation would provide families in mining communities with answers to questions about potential health impacts.
He also says, if the study proves mountaintop mining is unsafe, it should be outlawed.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- ETSU administration quickly organizes meeting to start conversations about race
- Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect