Two U.S. congressmen, one of whom is from Kentucky, have introduced a bill requiring a federal study of the health effects of mountaintop removal coal mining.
The lawmakers claim mountaintop removal mining contaminates water supplies with heavy metals, which makes people sick.
The Kentucky Democrat behind the bill says the legislation would provide families in mining communities with answers to questions about potential health impacts.
He also says, if the study proves mountaintop mining is unsafe, it should be outlawed.
- Updated Johnson County woman recovering after vicious dog attack
- New Law enforcement search for dangerous inmate that escaped from local jail
- New Johnson City woman honored by Girl Scouts of the Southern Appalachians
- Updated Johnson City Cardinals may break 20 year attendance record
- Updated Local bank holding 5K run to raise money for Niswonger Children's Hospital