ABINGDON, Va. - Abingdon police continue to investigate the deadly accident that killed a New York man yesterday, May 19th, when a large tree fell during a wind storm.
News 5 asked the town attorney whether they have any liability in the incident.
Abingdon's town attorney Deb Icenhour told us that the town is extremely diligent in maintaining the trees that line Main Street.
In fact we learned that the town employs an arborist to check on and maintain the health of the trees.
Icenhour says the tree was not on any list to be removed and that yesterdays death was an unfortunate accident.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake