ABINGDON, Va. - Abingdon police continue to investigate the deadly accident that killed a New York man yesterday, May 19th, when a large tree fell during a wind storm.
News 5 asked the town attorney whether they have any liability in the incident.
Abingdon's town attorney Deb Icenhour told us that the town is extremely diligent in maintaining the trees that line Main Street.
In fact we learned that the town employs an arborist to check on and maintain the health of the trees.
Icenhour says the tree was not on any list to be removed and that yesterdays death was an unfortunate accident.
- Hawkins Co. commission halfway to $40 wheel tax increase
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment