ABINGDON, Va. - While most people were bundled up in layers of clothing Saturday, some in our region were taking them all off.
The Polar Bear Plunge celebrated its seventh year for Sportman's Marina in Abingdon, Virginia. Around fifteen participants, aged 8 to 60, braved 39-degree water temperatures for the dive in South Holston Lake.
Organizer Travis Richards said the event allows for some fun before boating season begins again. "It kind of gives us a good reason to get out and maybe start thinking about some warmer days ahead of us," said Richards.
Participants in the Polar Plunge signed a commemorative plunger, which will be on display at the marina.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- Updated Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect
- Southwest VA school gets national recognition