ABINGDON, Va. - While most people were bundled up in layers of clothing Saturday, some in our region were taking them all off.
The Polar Bear Plunge celebrated its seventh year for Sportman's Marina in Abingdon, Virginia. Around fifteen participants, aged 8 to 60, braved 39-degree water temperatures for the dive in South Holston Lake.
Organizer Travis Richards said the event allows for some fun before boating season begins again. "It kind of gives us a good reason to get out and maybe start thinking about some warmer days ahead of us," said Richards.
Participants in the Polar Plunge signed a commemorative plunger, which will be on display at the marina.
- Ceremony honors female veterans at Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Johnson City Memorial Day ceremony goes off without hitch, despite stolen flags
- Mountain Home National Cemetery honoring fallen service members on Memorial Day
- Free meals for children in Kingsport begin Tuesday
- Police: Man fired AK-47 from car while driving down highway