BRISTOL, Tenn. - Diabetes was the topic of conversation in Bristol on Thursday.
Wellmont's annual diabetes symposium kicked off at Bristol Regional Medical Center Thursday morning.
The goal is to continue to educate the local medical community on a growing epidemic in our region.
Some of this year's focus included nutritional and emotional needs of diabetics and using insulin effectively.
Wellmont's assistant director of diabetes treatment centers, Jim Perkins said doctors and nurses in our area need to know these facts now more than ever before. "Typically we have about 30 or 40 percent of the individuals in the hospital, they have diabetes. They are here for another issue, but they have diabetes, and that's a lot," Perkins told News 5.
This marks Wellmont's eleventh year hosting the diabetes symposium.
- Updated Southwest Virginia man dies after being hit by car
- Hawkins EMS remains only service during feasibility study
- College students voice opinions on presidential debate
- Bristol, Tenn. household divided over presidential election
- Sale of the old mill property still planning to go through after fire