BRISTOL, Tenn. - Diabetes was the topic of conversation in Bristol on Thursday.
Wellmont's annual diabetes symposium kicked off at Bristol Regional Medical Center Thursday morning.
The goal is to continue to educate the local medical community on a growing epidemic in our region.
Some of this year's focus included nutritional and emotional needs of diabetics and using insulin effectively.
Wellmont's assistant director of diabetes treatment centers, Jim Perkins said doctors and nurses in our area need to know these facts now more than ever before. "Typically we have about 30 or 40 percent of the individuals in the hospital, they have diabetes. They are here for another issue, but they have diabetes, and that's a lot," Perkins told News 5.
This marks Wellmont's eleventh year hosting the diabetes symposium.
- Local overcrowded animal shelter fighting to avoid euthanasia
- More law enforcement agencies in our region looking to carry a lifesaving drug
- Norton clinic improving health for black lung patients
- Lowe's Heroes Project making improvements to Cherokee Elementary School
- Healthcare insurance rates to spike in 2017