BRISTOL, Tenn. - Diabetes was the topic of conversation in Bristol on Thursday.
Wellmont's annual diabetes symposium kicked off at Bristol Regional Medical Center Thursday morning.
The goal is to continue to educate the local medical community on a growing epidemic in our region.
Some of this year's focus included nutritional and emotional needs of diabetics and using insulin effectively.
Wellmont's assistant director of diabetes treatment centers, Jim Perkins said doctors and nurses in our area need to know these facts now more than ever before. "Typically we have about 30 or 40 percent of the individuals in the hospital, they have diabetes. They are here for another issue, but they have diabetes, and that's a lot," Perkins told News 5.
This marks Wellmont's eleventh year hosting the diabetes symposium.
- Hawkins Co. commission halfway to $40 wheel tax increase
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment