BRISTOL, Tenn. - Diabetes was the topic of conversation in Bristol on Thursday.
Wellmont's annual diabetes symposium kicked off at Bristol Regional Medical Center Thursday morning.
The goal is to continue to educate the local medical community on a growing epidemic in our region.
Some of this year's focus included nutritional and emotional needs of diabetics and using insulin effectively.
Wellmont's assistant director of diabetes treatment centers, Jim Perkins said doctors and nurses in our area need to know these facts now more than ever before. "Typically we have about 30 or 40 percent of the individuals in the hospital, they have diabetes. They are here for another issue, but they have diabetes, and that's a lot," Perkins told News 5.
This marks Wellmont's eleventh year hosting the diabetes symposium.
- Updated Man convicted in massive crack cocaine conspiracy in northeast Tennessee
- Updated One escaped inmate from Hawkins County captured
- Authorities search for violent, dangerous escaped inmate
- Shop sells shirts to raise $40K for fallen officer's family
- Case of Greene Co. man accused in shooting sent to grand jury