Multiple buildings were evacuated at ETSU after officials said a construction worker inadvertently struck a gas pipe, causing a gas leak.
Campus spokesperson Joe Smith told us it happened around 11:15 Wednesday morning as crews were working to expand the Center for Physical Activity, known as the CPA.
Smith said there were no reported injuries, but a 'Gold Alert' was sent to keep people out of the area, and six buildings were evacuated as a precautionary measure.
People on campus told us they could smell the strong gas odor hundreds of feet away. "I didn't think much of it until I went back inside the building and upon entering the building, I noticed the smell again in the office where I worked. Just a few seconds later, the alarms were going off and we realized we were being evacuated," said Lucas Trent, an evacuee.
"Atmos came in. They came on the scene. They were able to cap the leak and within a short amount of time, go ahead and give the 'all clear' that the buildings can be reoccupied," Smith said.
Officials said the situation lasted about an hour, and crews will be working to come up with a more permanent fix.