UNICOI COUNTY, Tenn. - Former Unicoi County Sheriff Kent Harris will not go to trial again on a theft charge.
District Attorney General Tony Clark announced his decision Wednesday.
Harris was arrested after authorities say he pocketed over $4,000 in county funds that were donated to the Unicoi County Sheriff's Department.
The theft charge was one of 10 felonies a Unicoi County Grand Jury indicted Harris on in October of 2011.
Clark said he reached his decision after speaking with witnesses and victims of the case, considering the costs for the trials and the lack of unanimous verdict in each of the two trials.
- New Another 'Chicken Head Mafia' member sentenced in drug case
- 2-year-old drowns in North Carolina swimming pool
- South Dakota teen with cancer gets OK to walk at graduation
- 2 juveniles charged in former Kingsport IGA building fire
- New resource plans to help mothers bearing drug addicted babies in Tri-Cities