UNICOI COUNTY, Tenn. - Former Unicoi County Sheriff Kent Harris will not go to trial again on a theft charge.
District Attorney General Tony Clark announced his decision Wednesday.
Harris was arrested after authorities say he pocketed over $4,000 in county funds that were donated to the Unicoi County Sheriff's Department.
The theft charge was one of 10 felonies a Unicoi County Grand Jury indicted Harris on in October of 2011.
Clark said he reached his decision after speaking with witnesses and victims of the case, considering the costs for the trials and the lack of unanimous verdict in each of the two trials.
- Updated BREAKING: One person shot, flown to hospital in Washington County, Va.
- Tusculum and Mosheim voters must decide on liquor sales
- Bigger turnout in second year of Push! Film Festival
- Family Justice Center to open in Sullivan County
- Voting on wine sales in retail food stores in two Unicoi County towns