ABINGDON, Va. - Hunger has become a big problem in Virginia with one in four individuals struggling to feed their families.
Because of this, September has been named Hunger Action Month by the nation's leading domestic relief charity, Feeding America.
Governor Bob McDonnell is encouraging everyone in the state to participate and wear orange to bring awareness.
Branch manager of Feed America Gary Mitchell says that the southwest Virginia branch is hurting. "Out of the Abingdon branch we cover 11 counties," he said. "We have some of the poorest counties in the state. Some of them rank in the top five to 10 in the country."
Mitchell says that they are looking for food and monetary donations and are always in need of volunteers to help out.
- Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin