JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - The man accused of trying to kill WJHL meteorologist Rob Williams made his first appearance before a judge Tuesday morning.
Police say Gerald Taylor shot Rob Williams in the chest with a crossbow early Monday morning. It happened at the home the two men once shared.
Taylor told the judge he needed a court-appointed lawyer because he expects to lose his job at a title company and would not be able to afford an attorney.
But after being questioned, he did tell the judge he owns a half-million dollar home with Williams.
The judge agreed to appoint the public defender for now to keep the case moving. Taylor is still jailed on a $121,000 bond and he's been ordered not to have contact with Williams.
Rob Williams was taken to the hospital after the attack but is expected to recover.
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane
- Neighbors propose traffic mural for Johnson City Tree Streets
- Enjoying record high heat in February
- "Compassion International" exhibition in Gray this weekend