JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - The man accused of trying to kill WJHL meteorologist Rob Williams made his first appearance before a judge Tuesday morning.
Police say Gerald Taylor shot Rob Williams in the chest with a crossbow early Monday morning. It happened at the home the two men once shared.
Taylor told the judge he needed a court-appointed lawyer because he expects to lose his job at a title company and would not be able to afford an attorney.
But after being questioned, he did tell the judge he owns a half-million dollar home with Williams.
The judge agreed to appoint the public defender for now to keep the case moving. Taylor is still jailed on a $121,000 bond and he's been ordered not to have contact with Williams.
Rob Williams was taken to the hospital after the attack but is expected to recover.
- Updated UPDATE: Bristol assisted living worker pleads guilty to assaulting 94-year-old woman
- Bond set at $7M for suspect in Ohio house fire that killed 7
- Trump vows to crack down on leaks, slams NATO
- Insurers continue to hike prices, abandon ACA markets
- Woman claiming Sandy Hook was a hoax pleading guilty to threats