JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - The man accused of trying to kill WJHL meteorologist Rob Williams made his first appearance before a judge Tuesday morning.
Police say Gerald Taylor shot Rob Williams in the chest with a crossbow early Monday morning. It happened at the home the two men once shared.
Taylor told the judge he needed a court-appointed lawyer because he expects to lose his job at a title company and would not be able to afford an attorney.
But after being questioned, he did tell the judge he owns a half-million dollar home with Williams.
The judge agreed to appoint the public defender for now to keep the case moving. Taylor is still jailed on a $121,000 bond and he's been ordered not to have contact with Williams.
Rob Williams was taken to the hospital after the attack but is expected to recover.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day