Fire crews: House fire was started by smoking materials

POSTED: 4:22 PM Dec 12 2013
Teen saves man from house fire
KINGSPORT, Tenn. -

We have an update for you about a fire in Kingsport on Wednesday in which a man was rescued by his neighbors.

Assistant fire marshal Barry Carr says the fire was caused by smoking materials in the downstairs bedroom. Fire crews got the call to the home on Martin Street Wednesday morning.

A man was pulled from the garage of the home by two neighbors. He was taken to Holston Valley Medical Center.

Fire crews say if you smoke, do it outside and use deep, wide ashtrays. They also say if you see a fire, call 911 and wait on those that are trained and equipped for these situations to arrive.