ABINGDON, Va. - Workers at Feeding America's Southwest Virginia distribution center tell us they hope to expand this year and get some help from Governor-elect Terry McAuliffe.
President and CEO Pamela Irvine tells us they prepared food for more than 17 million meals in 2013, but that is still not enough. Irvine says they are still missing about 25,000 people in need.
She had the chance to ask Governor-elect McAuliffe for help Saturday. "I told him we need additional food resources we also need transportation vehicles so that we can have additional shipments that go out to some of these communities," she said. "And of course, volunteers. We can always use volunteers."
Irvine says they had more than 4,000 volunteers this year who donated about $800,000 in labor.
- Hawkins Co. commission halfway to $40 wheel tax increase
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment