Tri-Cities, Tenn./Va. - Federal mine safety regulators say 18 miners have been killed on the job nationwide so far this year. That's down slightly from 19 fatalities through the first half of 2012.
The Mine Safety and Health Administration said Wednesday that this year's fatalities include nine in coal mining and nine in metal and nonmetal mining accidents. One miner in each industry was a contractor.
MSHA Director Joe Main says the fatalities have one recurring element... they were preventable.
- Updated UPDATE: Kingsport Police arrest murder suspect
- Local church group donating ‘Sensory Quilts' to nursing homes in Carter County
- Whitaker sentenced to 15 years in Jonesborough child abuse case
- People living in the Lynn Garden community feel unsafe after deadly shooting
- UPDATE: Carter Co. inmate back in custody