Abingdon, VA - Public officials rolled up their sleeves in the fight against hunger in Southwest Virginia. They were in Abingdon to volunteer at "Feeding America Southwest Virginia".
The idea is to create a movement throughout the region that has a lasting impact on the efforts to feed more people than ever before. They hope by seeing people helping it will also encourage others to lend a hand.
Last year the food bank helped 122,000 people each month in 26 different counties throughout Southwest Virginia.
- New 'Aerial Adventure' ropes course opens at ETSU
- Confederate nurse honored more than 150 years after Civil War
- Gov. Haslam hosts Appalachian Regional Commission conference
- Multiple agencies search for escaped inmate out of Washington County, Tenn.
- Local recycling practices both benefit and cost their cities