BRISTOL, Tenn. - It's finally race week in Bristol, and that means heavy traffic and increased patrols for Bristol, Tennessee police.
We learned the department started getting ready for the upcoming Irwin Tools Night Race the day after the race in March, and it's all hands on deck starting Wednesday. They'll have officers assigned to the track and others who will be patrolling around the area.
Bristol, Tennessee Police Officer David Kirkpatrick tells News 5 the department will also have people who will be designated for routine calls. "Our track area officers handle all calls in and around the track to free up the regular patrol units for the citizens up in town," added Kirkpatrick.
Kirkpatrick wants to encourage everyone who lives near the track to use a different way to get to work because the traffic will be very congested. He says if you have to go by the track to leave earlier than usual.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane