BRISTOL, Tenn. - It's finally race week in Bristol, and that means heavy traffic and increased patrols for Bristol, Tennessee police.
We learned the department started getting ready for the upcoming Irwin Tools Night Race the day after the race in March, and it's all hands on deck starting Wednesday. They'll have officers assigned to the track and others who will be patrolling around the area.
Bristol, Tennessee Police Officer David Kirkpatrick tells News 5 the department will also have people who will be designated for routine calls. "Our track area officers handle all calls in and around the track to free up the regular patrol units for the citizens up in town," added Kirkpatrick.
Kirkpatrick wants to encourage everyone who lives near the track to use a different way to get to work because the traffic will be very congested. He says if you have to go by the track to leave earlier than usual.
- Pastor's wife charged with embezzling from church in Kingsport
- Four charged in Church Hill home invasion case
- FTC, Wellmont and MSHA speak in front of SWVa. Health Authority
- VP candidate Pence not hurt when plane skids off runway
- Chelsea Clinton garnering young voters at Appalachian State University