JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - A former Buccaneer is returning to ETSU to help get the school's marching band moving forward.
The school announced today that Doctor Joe Moore -- who completed his undergraduate degree at ETSU -- will be the new marching band director.
Moore was a drum major three out of the four years he was at ETSU and is currently an assistant professor of music and director of bands at Delta State University in Cleveland, Mississippi.
He says he has many great memories from his time at ETSU and he's looking forward to building back the program starting from scratch.
"To start over and pull the old traditions but, as I say, to start some new traditions as well and the chance to come home," said Dr. Moore. "I'm from this area, I love this area and the opportunity to recruit from the many, many fine programs in the region."
Moore says he plans to hit the ground running with recruiting efforts when he begins at ETSU in July.
"That'll be the first thing that I'm doing, visiting all of the band camps," said Dr. Moore. "Once school starts I'll be visiting rehearsals, Friday night football games, Saturday morning band competitions. I just want to get the word out to the directors and the students that marching band is coming back."
Doctor Moore says there will be some performance stipends and scholarships available.
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation
- Bristol Virginia council votes to borrow another three million for The Falls
- Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone