JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - An East Tennessee State University student was arrested Thursday for filing a false report in connection with a burglary earlier in the week.
Sheldon Cooley, an ETSU basketball player, was arrested by ETSU Public Safety, according to Media Relations spokesman Joe Smith.
Smith said Colley?s residence at BucRidge on the ETSU campus was the scene of an especially aggravated burglary on Tuesday.
Two students, one was a resident and the other was a friend visiting, said they were bound and gagged during the alleged burglary. They reported several items were taken by intruders. Cooley reported that $1,300 in cash that belonged to him was taken.
Cooley was not present at the time of the incident.
An investigation by ETSU Public Safety revealed Cooley never had that money in his possession and the report was false, according to Smith.
The investigation into the February 21 aggravated robbery remains under active investigation.
- Updated Southwest Virginia man dies after being hit by car
- Hawkins EMS remains only service during feasibility study
- College students voice opinions on presidential debate
- Bristol, Tenn. household divided over presidential election
- Sale of the old mill property still planning to go through after fire