Update: Some Christmas presents salvaged after Damascus fire

POSTED: 4:32 AM Dec 24 2013   UPDATED: 2:36 PM Dec 24 2013
Damascus Fire
DAMASCUS, Va. -

A family is safe but needs a new place to stay after a fire in southwest Virginia. The fire started on 23914 Jeb Stewart Highway around 1:00 a.m. Tuesday.  

Damascus Fire Chief Ben Sanders says his department was on scene for three hours putting out the fire. Sanders said the fire started in a chimney and spread to the attic.  The chimney had cracks that may have contributed to the fire.

Chief Sanders told News 5 the house is a total loss. The family was able to save some Christmas presents.  The Red Cross is helping the three adults living at the house with temporary shelter and food.