BRISTOL, Tenn. - As one Bristol, Tennessee landmark is being finished, another is coming down.
Demolition crews are in the process of tearing apart two motels that sit on the edge of The Pinnacle; Bristol, Tennessee's new regional retail development.
Steve Johnson, who is developing the project, tells News 5 it was time for the old motels to come down. Johnson needed to make room for more stores in his 250 acre retail project. "It needed to be down. That 35-acre pad that we're relying on, that south pad, where we have two large retailers going, that property was necessary. From an aesthetic stand point, it was blighted, so it needed to go," said Johnson.
He told News 5 that The Pinnacle, at a million planned square feet of retail space, is currently the largest retail project under development in the country.
The marquee store of the project, Bass Pro Shops, is scheduled to be open in time for the Irwin Tools Night Race at Bristol Motor Speedway in August.
- VA Coal and Energy Alliance Conference: Industry leaders optimistic about coal rebound
- McAuliffe announces millions for 'green' overhaul in Russell Co. Schools
- UPDATE: Former regional jail guards indicted for contraband, bribes
- Letter: Flynn cites 'public frenzy,' invokes 5th Amendment
- Bristol Spruce-Up: Deadline approaching for Neighborhood Grant program