LEE COUNTY, Va. - Lee County, Virginia wants ownership of the Lee County Regional Medical Center, just a few months after it closed.
The hospital was closed in September. Wellmont Health System officials cited reimbursement cuts associated with the Affordable Care Act, trouble retaining doctors, and a lack of community use as reasons for the closure.
News 5 has learned, the county requested Wellmont donate the Pennington Gap property to the Industrial Development Authority by the end of March.
IDA Director Michael James tells us the building has very little value for any purpose other than a medical facility.
Wellmont issued a statement which says it plans to review the request carefully, but there is no timetable for a decision at this time.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting