ABINGDON, Va. - Virginia Highlands Community College could soon have a new president.
The search comes after current president Dr. Ron Proffitt announced his retirement in October.
The college has narrowed the search from 65 applicants down to three. Those candidates are on campus this week.
They are Dr. Susan Short who is with with Virginia Tech, Dr. Barbara Fuller with Southwest Virginia Community College, and Dr. John Hogan of Ivy Tech Community College.
"It's going to have to be someone who's familiar with grant writing and fundraising. It's going to have to be someone who's able to go into our community and communicate with our political leaders,our community leaders, and our educators," said Virgil Wimmer, Vice Chairman of the Virginia Highlands Community College Board.
This week, the board could make a recommendation to the Virginia Community College System Chancellor in Richmond.
The chancellor makes the ultimate decision. We're told each of them are all highly qualified for the position.
- Mistrial for men accused of beating NASCAR's Mike Wallace
- FTC warns there would be 'significant risk' if MSHA, Wellmont merger is approved
- Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event
- Boone Lake dam repairs will mean water level changes
- TVA investigates aquatic life near Boone Lake dam