Carbon monoxide leak causes jail evacuation

By Corey Presley, News Producer, cpresley@wcyb.com
POSTED: 9:20 PM Jun 23 2013   UPDATED: 3:21 PM Jun 23 2013
WASHINGTON COUNTY, Tenn. -

A carbon monoxide leak is being blamed for an evacuation at a local detention center.

We're told prisoners in two cell blocks at the Washington County, Tennessee Detention Center started complaining of nausea and headaches around 8:30 Sunday morning.

Washington County, Tennessee Sheriff Ed Graybeal says a few inmates lost consciousness.

We're told one prisoner was taken to the hospital, but he was expected to be ok.

Sheriff Ed Graybeal says the leak was caused by a faulty water heater. The problem has since been fixed and inmates are back in their cells.

Sheriff Graybeal says the quick reaction by emergency crews saved 51 lives.