BRISTOL, Tenn. - While speeds are up, the mercury will be down at Bristol Motor Speedway tonight.
With temperatures expected to plummet into the 20's overnight, race fans who are camping in tents are zipping up their doors and preparing to brave the cold.
Campers tell us, getting ready for rain can be tough but a forecast of ice and snow is a real challenge.
Dora Lewis says, "The water in the pipes or the hose from the spigots to the camper will freeze so all you do with that is you just unhook it".
Andy Waldron says,"We brought plenty of cold weather clothes and we've got heaters for each tent, heaters for the big cook area and we're set up and ready for everything".
Thousands of campers and tents are expected to be in place around the race track before qualifying gets underway on Friday.
- Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin