BRISTOL, Va. - BVU Authority continues to work on its 2015 budget. At the utility's board meeting today, there was a second reading for rate increases.
Up for debate was a six percent increase for cable TV, and an 8.5 percent increase for both water and wastewater. But all three proposals were voted down by the board.
BVU Chairwoman Faith Esposito says despite the increases being voted down, the utility still needs to be upgraded. "It's hard to spend the money, but our water system needs it. It does. But we are in a tight spot and it is an old deteriorating water system. We needed to do that, but we'll get there."
Four new board members will be joining soon. It will be up to them to figure out how to get the upgrades they need.
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane
- Neighbors propose traffic mural for Johnson City Tree Streets
- Enjoying record high heat in February
- "Compassion International" exhibition in Gray this weekend